Continuing exercises to strengthen the knees.
Certified trainer, Janet Livingston from the Clubs at Charles River Park, demonstrates the Stationary Lunge. You can perform this exercise at home or in the office.
This exercise is more challenging, so please do it slowly and carefully
- Take a step forward. Make sure that your hips are facing forward and the back foot is straight and facing forward as well.
- Start to bend both knees to lower the front thigh until it is parallel to the floor.
- Make sure your front knee is in line with the ankle. The knee of your back leg should be nearly touching the floor.
- Push through the front heel and return to the starting position.
- Stand next to a wall if you need to balance yourself. If your knee hurts, pull back.
- Do three sets of 10 each.
Filed under: Exercises & Stretches, Health, Knee, Orthopaedic, Patient Education Tagged: | Arthritis, core muscles, core strength, Exercises & Stretches, Knee arthritis, lunges, osteoarthritis, strength, stretches