The Heel Drop is another great exercise to stretch the calf muscles, the Achilles tendon, as well as the fascia under the heel. You can do this where ever you see a set of stairs. And it only takes a couple of minutes.
- Look for a set of stairs with railings.
- Hold on to the railings for support.
- Place the ball of your left foot on the edge of a step.
- Place entire right foot on the step above for stability.
- Gradually let the heel of your left foot drop while keeping your leg straight.
- Feel the stretch in the sole of your left foot, Achilles tendon and calf muscles.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the stretch three to five times for each leg.
Demonstrated by Meg Vitter of Boston, MA.
Treating Heel Pain or Plantar Fasciitis
Heel and Achilles Tendon Stretch
Foot & Toe Extension
Precautions to take before starting new exercises